By Kelly DiNardo
As we pay greater attention to where our food comes from, our health and the health of what we’re consuming, even the most carnivorous eaters are taking a break from meat – at least occasionally. Of course, it can be challenging to follow Meatless Monday, the international campaign to eat vegetarian on Mondays, without making it Carb-Lovers’ Monday. So we’ve turned to area chefs for a little inspiration. Today, the Food, Wine & Co dishes up their Roasted Fig and White Peach Salad.
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 ea Black Mission Figs ¼ ‘d
- 1 ea White Peach ¼ ‘d
- 3 oz Hooks 1 year blue or Blue Cheese
- 1 oz Saba
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- Toss the peaches and figs separately with olive oil, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl
- Place separately both fruits on a sheet pan and roast in the oven at 450 defrees until lightly caramelized
- Remove from the oven and place in the refrigerator to allow to chill.
- Remove once chilled
- Place the peaches and figs on plate overlapping each other and finish with your favorite blue cheese
- Place your favorite jam on the plate.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the fruit and dress with saba grape must
- Place a couple of in season garnishes to finish the dish such as thinly sliced raw beets, red ribbon sorrel or your favorite herb or greens