As we pay greater attention to where our food comes from, our health and the health of what we’re consuming, even the most carnivorous eaters are taking a break from meat – at least occasionally. Of course, it can be challenging to follow Meatless Monday, the international campaign to eat vegetarian on Mondays, without making it Carb-Lovers’ Monday. So we’ve turned to area chefs for a little inspiration. Today, Assaggi dishes up their Meatless Lasagna.
- 1lb. fresh spinach lasagna
- 1.5 lb. trimmed asparagus spears
- 1 cup sautéed sliced baby artichokes
- 2 cups chopped raw spinach
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pesto sauce (see below recipe)
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano reggiano cheese
- ½ lb. buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups pecorino cheese
- 1.5 cups bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to boil.
- Boil the asparagus for 1 min. Remove the asparagus from the water (reserve the asparagus water for later use), and immerge the asparagus in a bowl of iced water.
- Remove the asparagus from the chilled water and cut each spear in half crosswise and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Add the artichokes and cook until light golden brown, until soft and set aside on a paper towel to drain the oil.
- Cook the lasagna sheets in the asparagus water until al dente. Drain and separate the lasagna sheets.
- Rub butter on a 13X9inch baking pan, covering all surfaces.
- Layer 4 sheets of the lasagna on the bottom of the pan, generously spread the pesto sauce, top with the asparagus, baby artichokes and spinach and add the mixture of the 3 cheeses on top.
- Repeat this layered pasta and veggies, pesto and cheese for 4 more layers until you finish all of the ingredients.
- Top with remainder pesto sauce and cheese, sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Place the baking pan on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly on top.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh chopped basil
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 3 tbsp. freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Chop the garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add the basil, pinenuts, basil and a pinch of the kosher salt -Keep pulsing until finely chopped.
- Drizzle the olive oil with the motor running.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese.