As we pay greater attention to where our food comes from, our health and the health of what we’re consuming, even the most carnivorous eaters are taking a break from meat – at least occasionally. Of course, it can be challenging to follow Meatless Monday, the international campaign to eat vegetarian on Mondays, without making it Carb-Lovers’ Monday. So we’ve turned to area chefs for a little inspiration. Today, Maple dishes up a Fennel and Arugula Citrus Salad.
Fennel and Arugula Citrus Salad
- ½ small bulb of fennel
- 2 ounces arugula
- 4 segments each of orange and grapefruit
- 1 oz. citrus vinaigrette
- Shaved parmesan
- Fleur de sel
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Julienne the fennel using a mandoline.
- Toss with arugula, orange, grapefruit and citrus vinaigrette (recipe below).
- Plate the salad and top with shaved parmesan, a pinch of fleur de sel and a few turns of fresh ground black pepper.
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk white wine vinegar, Dijon, orange zest and orange juice in a bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil in a slow stream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Vinaigrette keeps for three days covered in the refrigerator.