Despite being the most mild spring DC has had in years, along with some of the most inconsistent weather I’ve seen in awhile, the seasonal bounty at our farmers markets prevails.
- The 14th & U Street farmers market is back in action this Saturday starting at 9am! Check their Facebook page for produce updates!
- Mayor Gray is likely grumbling a bit this week. His proposal to extend the hours bars and clubs can stay open, and therefore serve alcohol, was voted down in a 3 to 2 vote by the DC Council committee that oversees the District’s Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration. For now, DC will just have to fight for its right to party.
- Do you ever just want to eat something illegal? Well, Baylen Linnekin thinks you should be able to do so sans guilt, and uh, police intervention. Our own Nevin Martell interviewed Linnekin over some Four Loko and got the scoop on this Libertarian’s controversial stance on food.
- Jose Andres, DC’s unofficial culinary ambassador, just doesn’t stop. As if it weren’t enough that he’s been off in Miami opening the latest installation of Bazaar – now he’s the Dean of Spanish Studies at New York’s International Culinary Center! If imitation is the highest form of flattery, the people really love Jose. A new spoof Twitter account, @NoWayJoseAndres, has popped up in his honor.
- I like pie. Especially free pie. Whisked!, who was a top contender in Washington City Paper’s Best of DC “Best Pie” category, will be celebrating its one year anniversary at The Black Squirrel where attendees will be rewarded with slices of pie!
- Jessica Sidman of Dining BisNow will be taking Chris Shott’s place at Washington City Paper’s Young & Hungry blog! It’s causing a bit of a stir that she won’t be anonymous, as most restaurant reviewers are, so everyone is excitedly waiting to see what direction she takes the infamous, award-winning blog.
What are you guys up to this weekend? I am off to the beach for a few days of rest and relaxation, but if I were in town I’d be doing some strawberry picking for sure!