It’s been a busy few days, so we’re gonna get right into the headlines of the week:
- As you probably discovered this week, it’s ramp season! Wait, are you one of those people who thinks people who freak out about ramps are silly? Here’s an article for you. For the rest of us, it means Spring is here! #rampwatch2012
- A pizza challenge has been issued. La Forchetta chef, Roberto Donna and owner, Hakan Ilhan have vowed to make the best pizza in DC, which is to say, they plan to “Topple 2Amys.” Queue the dramatic music. Our own Nevin Martell took to Twitter to proclaim his allegiance to House 2Amys while CityEats contributor and Washington Post regular, David Hagedorn took up with House Donna. (Yes, these are thinly veiled Game of Thrones references…I’m very excited for the premier this Sunday).
- In more serious news, the pink slime (also known as lean beef trimmings) that took the food world by storm, recently caused a stir about its use in school food. Set your mind at ease, parents. DC Public Schools do not use the slimy stuff, and have avoided it for some time.
- More good news for small businesses and food trucks: Pleasant Pops, the popsicle/childhood memory wielding food truck has gone brick and mortar up in Adams Morgan. Congratulations to them!
- Ever wanted to help out with a cookbook? Bonnie Benwick of the Washington Post took to their blog this week to ask readers to pull out their archive of beloved Post recipes and send suggestions in. Cookie section. Here I come.
Where will you be eating this weekend? I spied a tip about a lamb roast at this Sunday’s Dupont Farmers Market – first market of the season with extended hours! See you there!