As we pay greater attention to where our food comes from, our health and the health of what we’re consuming, even the most carnivorous eaters are taking a break from meat – at least occasionally. Of course, it can be challenging to follow Meatless Monday, the international campaign to eat vegetarian on Mondays, without making it Carb-Lovers’ Monday. So we’ve turned to area chefs for a little inspiration. Today, Chef Orlando Amaro from Station 4, dishes up a zucchini carpaccio.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound small green and yellow zucchini, sliced 1/8 inch thick on the diagonal with a mandoline
- 1 bunch arugula (1/4 pound), large stems discarded
- 1 ounce Parmesan, shaved (1 cup)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini and toss well; let stand for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini slices, overlapping them slightly, on a platter.
- Add the arugula to the bowl and toss with the dressing, then mound on the zucchini.
- Scatter the Parmesan over the top and serve.