By Alejandra Owens
Each week we’ll be rounding up all the latest and greatest food news in DC for you here at The Plate. Enjoy!
- The weekend’s almost over, and all you can think about it cracking open a cold can of DC Brau. Or maybe you want to crack it open and make some beer-butt chicken, like the good folks at Boundary Stone! Chris Shott over at Young & Hungry has a round up of restaurants using beer as a key ingredient in their dishes.
- Most people I know are kind of in love with Taylor Gourmet’s meaty sandwiches and garlicy risotto balls. Prince of Petworth has shots of their new 14th Street location – coming along nicely! And what hoagie shop is complete without a little Hellman’s graffiti?
- Looking for a good cooking class to take this winter? Or maybe you’ve been underwhelmed by classes you’ve taken so far. Look no further than Mrs. Wheelbarrow’s new winter class schedule. She gets rave reviews on Twitter from the foodie community for her hands-on, casual cooking classes.
- Michel Richard is opening a meatball joint in Penn Quarter according to Eater DC. Reportedly it will be an affordable fast-casual option to a neighborhood already swollen with dining options. Affordable and Michel Richard… Two things you never thought you’d hear in the same sentence!
- Jose Andres has been coy about Mini Bar’s resurrection for some time now, but maybe the SLS Hotel group has a different answer for us: The Bazaar. Andres’ Bazaar restaurant, which is a mix of traditional Spanish tapas and Mini Bar-esque gastronomic delights, has a home in both the Beverly Hills and opening-soon South Beach SLS Hotel locations. With SLS looking for a home here in DC, we could have our “Philly Cheesesteak” sandwiches, air bread and all, back soon enough.
- Eater DC put out an Obama Dining Heat Map this week. You can make a game of it and visit all 16 spots the Obama’s have enjoyed a meal around town.